Friday, August 26, 2011

Old Settler’s Beans


I have been debating weather or not to share this recipe for a while.  It is an old family recipe, passed down through the ages.  When I say, “trough the ages,” I mean that it was my Grandma Sally’s recipe. I know some people regard family recipes as great secrets, never to be shared with anyone, but really, this recipe is too good not to share. Our family has made these beans for every family get together my entire life.  Everyone asks for this recipe, and since I’m a giver… well, I’ll give it to you. 

august 069

Old Settler’s Beans
Brown:   1 lb. bacon, cut into pieces
              1 lb. hamburger
              1 lg. onion, diced

Add:  1 15oz can butter beans, undrained
          1 15oz can kidney beans, undrained
           2 cans pork and beans, undrained

Mix together and add: 
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
1/4 c. ketchup
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 Tbsp. molasses
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Mix all ingredients in a crock pot.  Cook on high 4 to 6 hours.

Seriously, this is the best baked bean recipe, EVER.  Even if you think you won’t like it, you should try it anyway.

3 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Yummy! That looks delicious!

Jenna said...

Those do look awesome and not too difficult!

Livy Stevens said...

Love it, it was my grandmother Lelia's recipe. She would be 113!
I have found it in many recipe books from the 1960's and 1970's in church cookbooks. It is one of our family favorites and it always make me think of Nanna.
Love your blog!