Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review: I Will Save You

I recently finish the book I Will Save You by Matt De La Pena. 

034

I am someone who reads purely for entertainment.  I love to read a good book just before bed that is a fairly easy read.  I read to help turn my mind off after a busy day.  Otherwise, I stay awake and obsess about all of the things I didn’t get done, and all the things I need to do the next day.  That's why I love young adult novels.  The writing style is usually pretty straight forward and I can generally follow the story line even when I am extremely tired.

With all that being said, this novel was not your typical, run of the mill, teen angst story.  The main character, Kidd, is a deeply troubled young man that you can’t help but root for.  When I was about half-way through, I really couldn’t decide if I liked this book.  It all just seemed so depressing.  It started out with bad things happening and they all seemed to just get worse.  But when I was finished with the book, I was pleasantly surprised.  I love a good, old fashioned twist. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want you to think it ends in sunshine and lollipops, but the ending definitely made me glad that I read it.   You should read it too.

1 comment:

meg fee said...

hmmm. i'll have to check this out.